Have you been longing for white smile? Keeping your teeth white all starts with knowing what causes your teeth to become stained, and taking the right measures to do what you can do to remove stains that have already taken hold. It’s easier than you think! Maintaining a brilliant smile starts with monitoring the foods and drinks that can cause your teeth to stain. We can further help you if you need teeth whitening in Lynnfield, but until then we’ve outlined a few simple steps that you can take right away.
Teeth Staining Factors
Did you know you could be contributing towards the discoloration after your teeth? A variety of drinks could cause yellowing of your pearly whites. Do you love beverages like coffee, wine, or dark sodas? Or dark fruit juices like cranberry or pomegranate? Little did you know, all of your favorite beverages that you might indulge in on a daily basis are contributors to teeth stains. There are foods that can yellow your teeth, too. These include beets, berries, tomato sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, pigmented candy, and dark caramel. If you’re a tobacco user each puff is contributing to discolored tooth enamel. Plus, certain medications can cause yellow teeth as one of their side effects. Even your genetics can make your teeth yellow.
The Best Ways to Prevent and Reverse Teeth Staining
With those many possibilities of staining, it can seem almost impossible to avoid darkening your smile. The best thing you can do is work on preventing stains as best as possible while removing existing stains with the appropriate treatments. Your dentist in Lynnfield can help you by offering this helpful advice:
- Crunchy fruits and veggies, such as carrots and apples, can help keep your teeth clean naturally, thanks to their texture. Strawberries and pineapple could also inhibit staining.
- When drinking tea, juice, soda, or coffee, consider using a straw, as that will help keep the beverage off of your teeth.
- Have some water in between drinking beverages that stain your teeth, as well as while you are eating foods that are known for staining enamel. Doing so will help cleanse the mouth before stains can take hold.
- Brushing and flossing after a tooth-staining drink or meal will also cleanse your mouth. Plus, flossing will further help reduce plaque that can attract stains.
- In addition to rinsing with water, you can use an antibacterial mouthwash to reduce plaque and staining. Bonus points if your mouthwash also has ingredients that can whiten your teeth.
- Chewing sugar-free gum can stimulate the production of saliva that could assist in keeping your entire mouth fresher and your teeth whiter.
The Best Whitening Treatments Come from a Professional Dentist
If you’ve been thinking about whitening your teeth, you should really consider visiting Schumacher Dental for teeth whitening. Talk to your dentist in Lynnfield about the whitening procedures we have available both in our office or at home. You’d be surprised at the dramatic results you can see in a much shorter amount of time compared to over-the-counter treatments.
Now that you know what causes teeth stains, as well as what you can do to prevent and remove them, you can take steps to keep your smile bright and beautiful. Contact Schumacher Dental for your whitening needs!